It’s undeniable that CBD is having its moment in the sun. Turn anywhere, and you’ll hear people singing the praises of CBD. Many swear by taking it daily as part of their ongoing wellness routine. We’ve heard of people taking it in tincture form, as a soft gel, even in gummy form. But now there is a new trend emerging— CBD recipes!
That’s right, the culinary use of CBD is currently having a moment, with recipes ranging from CBD infused coffee, to CBD infused coconut oil, to even CBD infused butter! It appears that you can now benefit from CBD while also enjoying your favorite food or drink at the same time. Multi-tasking for the win! If you’re someone who doesn’t enjoy the taste of raw, natural hemp, then CBD infused recipes may be a good option for you.
The Smart Healthy Remedies team has been enjoying the holiday season with one of our favorite seasonal beverages, hot chocolate! After weeks of trying out different CBD infused hot chocolate recipes, we finally landed on one that is irresistibly delicious!
Does CBD Still Work in Food or Drinks?
When you consume CBD through a food or beverage source, you’re taking in the same amount of the compound as you would by taking it in tincture or edible form, and the way that the body processes it is similar. After ingestion, the CBD enters the digestive tract first before being broken down by the liver and then entering the bloodstream, which means it might take a little bit longer to feel the effects. The onset of effects can take anywhere from 1-2 hours, depending on your unique physiology.
One added benefit of pairing CBD with certain foods or drinks is that your body processes CBD better when paired with a fat source, such as coconut oil or butter. When you consume CBD through a food or drink source, it gets released throughout the body over a longer period, and the effects may last longer than other delivery methods. Everyone will experience CBD differently, and the method of consumption is a personal preference.
We’ve enjoyed experimenting with CBD infused foods and hope that you enjoy our CBD hot chocolate recipe! We definitely wouldn’t rely on this as our primary way to take CBD, but every once in a while, it makes for a tasty treat while getting our daily CBD boost.
CBD Infused Minty Hot Chocolate
- 24 oz hazelnut milk
- 2 teaspoons cacao butter, melted
- CANNABITOL® enhanced with ECS5™ (1/2- 1 full dropper. The minty/spicy flavor gives it a great kick!)
- 2 heaping teaspoons cacao powder
- 5 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Melt the cacao butter in a saucepan on very low heat until liquid or semi-liquid.
- Blend all other ingredients in a food processor or blender until completely smooth.
- Warm the mixture in a saucepan along with the cacao butter over low heat until the desired temperature is reached.
- Pour into a mug and serve.
- Optional toppings: whipped cream, fresh mint, a few sprinklings of cinnamon, nutmeg, or cayenne.